"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
Joshua 24:15
Linwood House Ministries

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Life with Three

As usual, I haven't blogged on a regular basis. As usual, this is gonna be a long one. So, grab a cup of Jo, get comfy and read away.

We welcomed our precious baby boy Dean William Clarence Puddicombe on July 10, 2010.

It was a crazy, scary, and fast delivery. I went in for a check on the baby, as they were set to induce me, but didn't have the room for me. After the check, the nurse noticed that I was having fairly regular contractions. This wasn't unusual for me, so I wasn't thinking that I was about to go naturally. The nurse asked if she could check me, and I hadn't changed at all since my appointment with my OB earlier on in the week. She then said for me to maybe take a walk and see if they progress any before I go home.

I didn't even last 5 minutes before I had to head back up to triage. 3.5 hours later, I was looking at my little man and crying at the site of him.

You see, Dean wasn't planned...and the pregnancy threw me for a loop and took my thoughts to places I never thought I would EVER think. Then when I laid eyes on him, it all hit me and I was instantly in love...and bawling my eyes out.

After the delivery I hemorrhaged very badly and passed out a few times. I don't remember much about this part. I hear it was pretty scary and they were prepping me for surgery when the on-call OB saved the day. The next day I did end up getting two blood transfusions, and let me tell you, NIGHT and DAY in regards to how I felt. It was amazing. I highly recommend it :) If only I could sign-up on a monthly basis for it!! The transfusion also made me realize how important it is to donate blood if you can, as often as you can. Unfortunately, I can't donate blood...never been able too because of my anemia. BUT, I encourage you to do it!!

As a result of the drama, I was in the hospital for a bit longer...but I was in the lovely hotel-like room, and was spoiled by the nurses...the first time EVER, that I actually could have stayed longer in a hospital!

Life with three has been AMAZING so far. I have LOVED the summer with all three of my children and Abi has been a huge part of the greatness of it all. She grew up so much since Dean's arrival, and has been a little miss mom to her siblings.

Currently we are in the process of potty training Emma. I can remember trying to do this with Abi. Obviously, Abi was successful in the PT stage, but I can remember thinking, "this kid is going to be 13 and in diapers!"...well, those thoughts are back, this time with Emma. "They" say that a child should be potty trained within 3-6 months from the time you start the training process (they, being so-called experts who I often wonder if they even have children). Let's just say, I will be happy if this kid is trained before kindergarten!

Emma has also entered the terrible two's with an absolute BANG! Miss Moose has her moments where I don't know who she is, or what she did with the original Emma version 1! She also doesn't seem to take to time-outs like abi did. She actually laughs! I take things away from her, and it doesn't even phase her. I tell her no, and she smiles, says "ohtay", then proceeds to do it again with an evil grin that says "come on, I dare you"...which ends in her on the stairs for a two-minute time out, where she sings, giggles and laughs at the wall. I am in SOOOOO much trouble when this girl decides to figure out where she stands in life! I'm seeing late night phone calls for help, possible police visits, lots of principle office visits, and LOTS of white hair, in my future.

Abi is doing amazing. Her treatment for her ADHD is wonderful! We have our little issues each morning before she takes her pill, and at night when the medication has worn off...but once that medication is in her system, my angel appears! She has improved so much in school, and continues to do so. Her reading level is now at par with her grade level, and her spelling and math are approaching. None of this would be happening of course if it weren't for the amazing love and support that we receive from her school. They have been understanding, patient, and have brought in extra help when/where needed.

Before the school year ended last year, I was sitting in a meeting with abi's learning resource teacher, a psychologist, and speech therapist, discussing abi's progress and future needs, and I was overwhelmed at the fact that these people were here for my child. They wanted her to succeed as much as I do. They care and love her! they took time to get to KNOW my child. She's not just some number to be lost to them. Case in point: the psychologist was removed from Abi's plan at the end of school year, but I received a phone call from her just to see how Abi was doing. She didn't have to do that. She certainly is busy enough to not do that...but she still did. When the speech therapist was asking about Abi's past, Abi's resource teacher was answering the questions EXACTLY how I would!

I have to say, it is so nice to see people actually come to realize ADHD as a disease. That a child isn't "dumb" or won't amount to anything...but that they just need extra time and care to reach their full and glorious potential. It's awesome to have such support and understanding. It's nice to see educators not use ADHD as an excuse to ignore, or as an excuse at all (well, she has ADHD, so this is as good as she is going to be, be thankful she can even finish her alphabet!)...it's nice to see Abi encouraged AND challenged!

Dean is three months old now. He is so big, and so perfect. His smile lights up the room, and he can giggle from his toes up...just like his sisters. He still isn't in his crib, but I actually think I get more sleep with him beside me than I would if he was in his crib. I don't sleep deeply, but I do get the entire night to just lay there. He is now almost 14lbs, and is 24 inches tall (2 whole feet) - all this puts him in the 90th percentile on the growth chart for his age. Like I said, big boy.

It's crazy, but life seems easier with the three. I seem to have more energy than I have ever had in my adult life. I guess you are just WAY more relaxed by the time the third arrives, that you no longer stress over small things. Plus, not having to go into work each day probably helps!

When I was pregnant with Emma, we had my parents over for dinner and we ordered in Chinese food, which came with fortune cookies. We all opened our cookies and read our fortunes out loud. Billy's fortune made us laugh, and it's been on our kitchen fridge ever since. Each day, I look at it and grin...okay, to be honest, some days I look at it, glare and say "ya, okay"...but by the end of those days, I do end up grinning.

I leave today's post with that fortune:

"Children will contribute to your cheerfulness".

For us, this fortune is times three...and I am so very thankful and grateful for each one!

To those I love, peace.

D

No comments: