"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
Joshua 24:15
Linwood House Ministries

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Welcome 2009!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Wow. As usual, time has flown by! I can't believe that it's 2009 already. I would love to just be able to pause life for a moment or two! My girls are growing up too fast for me and my Mat leave is going by all too quickly.

2008 was a great year...how could it not be? My precious Emma was born!

January started out pretty rough, but it made me really focus on my family - the people who can so easily be taken advantage of. The thought of losing a family member is heart-wrenching and something I don't want to experience again for a VERY LONG TIME! You always assume that your family will just always be there, and really, they are always there, BUT there are times when something can happen to your family that makes you realize just how much you really do love them, and how much you enjoy having them in your life...when that is taken away from you or almost taken away from you, it's a wake-up call...and that's what I got. I always knew how much I loved my family, but two things this month made me realize that I was taking advantage of them...taking advantage of them always being there, and not focusing on them and their needs. I was so wrapped up in other people's lives, that I forgot about my own family. So, I refocused and wrapped myself up in my family...and it has been the best thing ever.

The winter was LOOOOONG! Winter in Winnipeg sucks. I'm not going to lie. The cold. The wind. The snow...soooooooo much freak'n snow! The fact that you are pretty much house-bound for two months solid cuz the windchill factor will make your ears fall off is enough to make a person want to move! Every winter I question our living in Winnipeg...but spring does arrive eventually, and I'm reminded how much I love this crazy place. I never imagined I would fall in love with Winnipeg. But I have. I curse at it daily during January and February, then weekly in March and April, but by May I'm back to loving the small city. In fact, I don't think I will ever leave this place, it's home. Finally, after YEARS of denial, I have made Winnipeg my home. Yes, I have lived here for 14 years, and I can't believe that it's been that long, but the place has finally won me over...besides, here's to hoping that in my retirement years I can be one of those people that move to Florida for the winter (yea, right...when I win that lottery).

Emma was born in June...same day as Abi was born. Abi said from day one that the baby would be born on her birthday...who knew she'd be right! Should make for interesting birthdays...can you imagine having to share your day with your sibling? Abi was all excited about it...I'm pretty sure that her excitement will change.

Emma has been an absolute amazing baby. So happy, all the time. Our home is so full of love and laughter because of my two girls, I couldn't be more blessed! Abi is a wonderful sister, so full of love for her little sister...something I hope never changes. I look forward to watching these two grow up together and start making their own memories. I have so many memories of my siblings and I love looking back at the times we did have together. We fought lots, but we had a lot of great times too...and I love that abi and emma will have each other!

So, resolution time. Last year, I made some resolutions, how did I do? Well, see for yourself.

#1: to accept what life brings...all of it

I needed to be reminded a few times during the year, but for the most part I did pretty good at this one. Focusing on the fact that I have a wonderful hubby and now TWO amazing girls, a roof over my head and food on the table made me very appreciative of what came our way.

#2: to really work at finally forgiving and forgetting the hurt that was brought on by a person who I mistakenly held on a very high pedestal for way too long, 10 years ago...especially when they don't even know how much and how they hurt me.

As usual, this was and still is a struggle. I have forgiven...I just keep reminding myself that I have forgiven...so the forgetting part is the struggle. It's something that I have turned over to God, but I can't seem to let go of. So, I need to work on my faith a bit here and trust that God will help me move on from this pain...I just have to let him do that for me!

#3: to focus on my family here in Winnipeg, who have been here for me in so many ways and who I love deeply.

Done...and continue to do so. I love my family. Sure, we piss each other off from time and time, and have had our blow ups...BUT I love them, deeply.

#4: to put the past in the past and not care anymore about it. They live their lives and I need to live mine.

same as #2!!! STILL WORK IN PROGRESS!!

#5: to do more housework...yikes did I just actually write that down??? and I'm not even drunk!

ha! I've done okay with this one! I have certainly done more than I did last year. For my birthday, my gift from my parents was a HUGE clean up and out of my house! They were amazing! they spent an entire weekend cleaning this place. I'm talking about all those "other" jobs that you put off...washing the windows, cleaning out closets, cleaning out the boxes in the basement, cleaning out the toys!! Washing the floorboards! This set me on the right path and we've kept it up. I've already told them that for this years birthday they can wash all the walls in my house for me!

#6: to work on my lack of patience...I said WORK ON IT.

STILL WORKING ON IT! Another thing to hand over to God. It's one thing to pray it, another to give it to Him.

#7: to save some money

ha.ha.ha. This one is funny. I put money aside each and every single month...BUT I've had to withdraw money from the saving account each and every single month since June!! Oy.

My resolutions this year?

  • Pay down the one credit card we have...then start to save.
  • Lose weight...I'm embarrassed to say that I've put it ALL back on, so now I gotta work hard at taking it ALL off again!! I hate that I struggle with my weight. I have to lose about 50 pounds, and this will likely take me two years or more...but I will start at it.
  • Work on my Faith and trust in God more. I need to work on my forgiveness, worry wart syndrome, and patience issues. I need to pass this over to God and leave it with him!
  • To continue accepting what life brings and go with the flow of it.
  • To reconnect with the family members that I lost connection with.
  • To make a plan on how to cope with going back to work! Housework, laundry, abi's school work, family time and all that fun stuff!
  • Get my smile back.

So, to those I love, I wish you nothing but love, joy, laughter, peace, health, and wonderful memories for 2009!

Peace,

D:)

1 comment:

Evey said...

YOU should BLOG!! ;)