"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
Joshua 24:15
Linwood House Ministries

Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy 2010!

Do you remember 1999? I sure do. It was the year before I got married...but also the year of the Y2K hype! Looking back now, what a laugh. The entire world in a panic over the earth stopping...planes falling out of the sky; stock market crashing; computers not working; etc...oh the overtime that was put in to ensure that January 1, 2000 went off without a hitch!! Now, here we are, January 1, 2010. Seems like a page out of some space novel, except we aren't flying in the sky with our cars, or living anything like the Jetson's did.

2009 was a good year. Every year is a good year as long as I am surrounded by my family and friends who I love! We had a few dips here and there as far as health went, but we got through it (getting through it), and God has shown us his mercy and love, time and time again. It was also a year wrapped around my darling Abi.

In January I noticed that Abi was quite thin. She has always been slender, but this time she was all bone. I put her on the scale and she was 36 pounds (which for a 6 year old is little). I had always raised my concerns to her doctor about her weight, and about how she would go DAYS without food, and he would always shake his finger at me and tell me I was over-reacting. Well, when I saw the bones, and then saw the 36 pounds flash at me, I decided it was time to get a second opinion!

I took her to my doctor who then referred her to another pediatrician in the city. It was amazing to have a doctor actually listen to my concerns and try to put my mind at ease. One of the things that Abi had been diagnosed with was Acid Reflux. Her doctor, after talking with me for a long time, asking me about her as a baby, etc., determined that one of the reasons why Abi didn't eat, was that it was actually very painful for her to eat. He thinks that she has had A.R. since she was born, so she's had 6 years to associate pain with food. We put her on some medication for that, and for the first time in 6 years, I saw my daughter EAT! I mean ACTUALLY EAT! Not just a bite here, and there, but clean off her plate and ask for more! It was amazing, and so nice to see!

BUT, it didn't last long. After about three weeks, she went back to her old habits. Her doctor then did an x-ray of her tummy and discovered she was severely backed-up. We needed to treat the constipation before we could continue on with the Acid Reflux medication....we are STILL working on the constipation. Part of that has to do with another diagnosis...

In consultation with Abi's school, I had asked for an assessment on her concentration levels. I had noticed at home that it was getting more and more difficult to get Abi to focus on one thing for more than 2 minutes, and I wondered if she was like that at school as well. The school brought in a Psychologist who worked with abi for about 6 months. At the end of the school year, Abi had to undergo a test to make sure that she wasn't suffering from "absent seizures"...when that test came back saying that she wasn't suffering from that, she underwent further observation, and has finally, officially been diagnosed with ADHD. This is connected with the constipation because Abi can't sit still long enough to let her bowls do their thing!!

Problem with ADHD is that the medication that is out there...all of them...the #1 side effect is weight loss. Which, obviously Abi can't afford.

In September, Abi's weight had finally gotten back up to 42.5 pounds. We were thrilled. Then flu season hit, and Abi lost a pound and a half. Nothing too concerning. But, she was then diagnosed with ADHD and we decided to put her on a two-week trial. The trial ended this past week, and she has lost another 2 pounds, putting her down to 39 pounds. Her doctor however, is not concerned yet, and wanted to give the medication a month trial with the school. So, we play the waiting game.

It's hard because Abi is at that age where school can either be an enjoyable experience, or not. If you add a learning disability on top of that, it makes it even harder to enjoy. I want so much for her to enjoy learning, and I worry about the struggle she faces every day! So, now I pray and turn it over to God, and hope that this medication works wonders, and that her weight evens out.

She goes in for her monthly weigh-in on January 29th...I pray that her weight either stays the same or even goes up!

Emma spent the year turning into a little devil! Seriously. She is cute as a button, and she will make you laugh till you cry...but man, she is going to cause trouble! I thought I was in for it with Abi...Abi is sweet as punch compared to our Moose...or Bull. BUT, she really makes you smile from the inside out! Emma is always there to greet you with a smile and a "hi". I've really been blessed with two amazing daughters. I never thought it possible to love as much as I love my girls.

I have a girlfriend who would ask me, "so, who do you like more?"...and I would joke and say back, "Emma, cuz she can't talk back yet!"...but honestly, and this is something that only parents with more than one child can fully understand and grasp, I like and love them both EXACTLY the same! I never thought that possible. I always thought parents were full of crap when they said stuff like that. BUT, it's so true. Each child has their own uniqueness about them that makes you love them differently, but as far as more or less goes, that just doesn't exist. You love both the same. Make sense?

Well, enough about the kids. Last year I wrote about my resolutions that I had made the year before, and how I did with them. Well, continuing on with that little tradition, here is what I said for 2009:

#1 - Pay down the one credit card we have and then start to save.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha...save? what is the meaning of this word "save"?

#2 - Lose weight - about 50 pounds worth.
Well, by March of 2009, the amount actually went to 60 pounds to lose!!! BUT, since July 16th, I have lost 34 of those pounds. 26 more to go.

#3 - Work on my Faith and Trust in God more. Work on forgiveness, worrying, and patience...learn how to hand it over to Him.
This, I think will be a life-long resolution...a daily one. God did however answer a prayer that I had been praying for over 10 years on - regarding forgiving a particular individual in my life!!

#4 - Continue to accept what life brings and go with the flow of it.
I probably should have read this, oh, about 4 weeks ago! Life gave me a doosey, and it's taken me a while to "go with the flow" of it :)

#5 - To Reconnect with family members that I had lost connection with.
Isn't Facebook AWESOME. Thanks to Facebook, it's soooo much easier to gain and re-gain that connection. It's so nice to be a click away from family.

#6 - To make a plan on how to cope with going back to work (housework, laundry, abi's school work, family time, etc.).
Plan? what's that? There was no plan. Only worry (FAIL for #3). However, it all seems to get done and we are adjusting well...thanks of course to my amazing hubby, whom without, I would be buying us clean underwear every Sunday!!

#7 - Get my smile back.
It's back and it's great!

My resolutions for 2010?
  • Deepen my relationship with God. Set aside time each day for prayer and devotional. I pray everyday, all the time, but I don't have a designated time to just be alone with God...I could really use that.
  • Lose the remaining 26 pounds.
  • Be more patient (or, well, patient period) with my children.
  • Be more trusting of God.
  • Learn the meaning of SAVE $$.
  • Laugh once a day.
So, to those I love, I wish you a fabulous 2010 that is full of laughter, love, joy, peace and great memories. May 2010 be one that is healthy and happy!

D:)

1 comment:

Carson Samson said...

Abi - Uncle Carson loves you baby girl. So happy to hear you're getting bigger!

And Mommy's getting smaller. You go girl!

I'll just bet Daddy's getting hairier too!

CDS